We are certain you will have seen Georgian Bar windows on period type properties many times while out on your travels, but you may not know that ‘Georgian Bar’ is the name often used to identify them. Simply put, Georgian bars are bars fitted to modern double-glazed windows and doors to replicate the sash window style associated with the Georgian era.
The bars are slotted in between a window’s double-glazed units to give the appearance of smaller panes rather than being placed onto the glazing itself. Because the bars are placed internally and sealed within the window unit, the glass panes are flat on both sides. This way, one large glass pane can be manufactured to fit the whole of the window rather than lots of smaller panes held together by the bars – the Georgian style is maintained, but the window is much simpler and cost effective to manufacture.
Traditional Georgian windows date back to the 18th and 19th centuries. They are characterised by being a large window made up of six or more smaller panes of glass held together by horizontal and vertical wooden bars. Typically, these bars are thinner than their surrounding frames to allow a larger area of glass and therefore, lets more light into the room/building.
The Georgian style of window is still very popular today. Their authentic look is what makes them perfect for more traditional, period properties where property owners are keen to achieve the traditional Georgian design and retain the original aesthetical look of the building.
Other benefits of Georgian glazing bars:
- They can provide further resistance from intruders due to the smaller panes of glass, without limiting the natural light that can enter your home.
- Georgian bars increase privacy for your family. They serve as a barrier to anyone viewing into a room. As a result, we think they work best in rooms where privacy is preferred, such as street facing rooms, bedrooms and living rooms.
- We can offer Georgian bars for an authentic look with all the modern conveniences of contemporary designs.
- Suitable for bay, sash, and casement windows.
- Our Georgian Bar windows increase energy efficiency without compromising on the look of traditional style windows.
Whether you require double-glazed sash windows or wooden doors we can supply and fit cost-effective window and door units with Georgian bars crafted with an outstanding level of workmanship.